In 1907, Frank Anthony Curci, with his wife Rosina and three small children, settled in Hallandale Beach at SW 5th Avenue and West Dixie Highway. As a pioneer family, they struggled, yet grew prosperous by reinvesting their farming profits into land purchases, which they used for additional tomato fields and fruit groves. As the family grew to a total of eleven children, so did Curci’s vision as he expanded into the construction business. Mr. Curci spoke five languages and was also an accomplished violinist, displaying his talents with the John Philip Sousa Orchestra during the 1896 grand opening of the Henry Flagler Royal Palm Hotel in Miami.
In 1924, the family built their dream home, “Villa Providence,” on their 11-acre site. This Mediterranean-style villa was constructed of concrete filled terra-cotta block walls, with Dade pine floors and imported Cuban tile details throughout. The most extraordinary feature was the array of imported Italian color glass that was imbedded in the exterior stucco finish. The Italian glass sparkled in the sunlight and glowed in the moonlight.
In 1926, when the Great Hurricane hit, dozens of nearby residents sought shelter with the family as their homes were damaged or destroyed. The Curci home stood strong, sustaining only minor damage. Frank, Rosina and family lived in the home until the early 1950s.
You can be a part of this historic Hallandale Beach home by purchasing a memorial brick that will be installed on the grounds. For information about the program, including an application you can complete and mail in with your payment, click here.
Villa Providence was designated for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places on December 24, 2013.
A Hallandale Beach Historical Site
Sponsored by the Historical Preservation Trust and City Commission
Back to top
“We have Come This Far by Faith”
The Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1909 by Sister Lougenia Johnson and Sister Missouri Wilson conducting Sunday School under a rubber tree. In 1910 Rev. A. T. Taylor, his wife, and Sister Lula Mack joined the group and begun the official organization of the church.
Since its first structure in 1912, Ebenezer Missionary Baptist evolved with the growth of its members and leadership. This current church structure was built in 1964 under the Pastoral leadership of Rev. O. W. Foster who served from 1944-1977.
The mantle of leadership of the greater ministry was passed on to Rev. Joe Cephas Johnson in 1977, and he continues to serve during this bicentennial year.
The Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church has ministered and served the Hallandale Beach and South Broward community for 100 years. It has been a beacon of hope for the lost, a place of refuge for the needy through sharing, caring, and giving. Most of all, the Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church is a place where the gifts of the Spirit are in operation for the edification of the body of Christ, and where God is glorified.
A Hallandale Beach Heritage Site Sponsored by the
Hallandale Beach City Commission
Back to top